Mechanical engineering is a broad engineering discipline that incorporates skills and expertise in the areas of design, manufacturing, mechanics and thermal sciences that are essential to most sectors of industry. It is one of the oldest and broadest of the engineering disciplines and one of the most preferred one by the engineering aspirants.
Mechanical Engineering Department was established in the year 2002 and affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi, Karnataka.
The department offers undergraduate, Post graduate and Ph.Dprogrammes. Undergraduate course in Mechanical Engineering. Postgraduate courses are offered in Machine Design and Product Design & Manufacturing. In addition to this MSc by research and Ph.D courses are offered for those who are working in institution and industry through Research and Development center recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi, Karnataka.
Laboratories in the department are well equipped to facilitate the conduction of experiments prescribed in the curriculum and also to carry out the research work. Some of the research facilities like, Dynamic Mechanical Analyzer (DMA), Optical microscope, 3D printer, and Hydraulic press etc. are utilized by MSc and Ph.D research scholars of our institution and other institutions.
The department is continuously organizing the industrial visits, seminars, technical talk and placement training for the benefits of the students.
Duration : 4 Years
Eligibility : Pass in 10+2 / Higher Secondary (HS) / Pre University (PUC) / 'A' Level (with 12 years of schooling) or its equivalent with English as one of the languages. Shall have secured a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the following : Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Electronics. AIT admits students as per prevailing rules and regulations of VTU.
Our Graduates will be able to,
- PEO1: Exhibit sound technical knowledge
- PEO2: Pursue a career in various sectors
- PEO3: Exhibit leadership and entrepreneurial skills in fulfilling societal needs
- PEO4: Pursue higher education and be a life-long learner
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
- PSO1:Determine the performance of a given mechanical component or a system using computational tools
- PSO2: Design mechanical systems including drives, energy conversion systems (IC engines, turbo machines, and power plant components), RAC and fluid power systems along with their embedded controllers as per specifications
- PSO3: Select, plan, and implement the process for manufacturing mechanical elements and for assembly of mechanical sub systems and systems
- PSO4: Optimize the use of resources and processes, using managerial techniques, ICT tools and life cycle management for a safe environmental friendly system for sustainable society
To develop globally competent mechanical engineers capable of working in an interdisciplinary environment, contributing to society through innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship.
- To excel in teaching, research and innovation of products and processes
- To promote collaborative activities to contribute to the societal needs
- To imbibe leadership and entrepreneurial qualities