Information Science and Engineering
Information Science and Engineering is an interdisciplinary field primarily concerned with the analysis, collection, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval, movement, dissemination, and protection of information. The Department of Information Science and Engineering was initiated in the year 2000 with an intake capacity of 60 and current intake is 120 students for BE programme, affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi. The zealous department also offers two PG programmes, M.Tech in Computer Network Engineering & M.Tech in Cyber Forensics and Information Security and has R&D center recognized by Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belagavi. The department consists of a highly motivated, competent and distinguished faculty committed to the cause of quality education. Research is an integral part of departmental activities where all the faculty members are enthusiastically involved.
The department has well-focused research area and excellent research facilities, which cater to the needs of the research community providing ample opportunity for the students to implement and test their skills. Workshops, seminars and invited talks from experts frequently with the help of professional bodies like Computer Society of India (CSI), Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) and technical student forum “STEIGEN” are systematically organized. The Computer Society of India student branch has been honoured with the “Best Computer Society of India Student Branch Award” at the Computer Society Of India National Convention 2012. The department has collaborated with several top IT giants. The list includes Apple - iOS University Development Programme, IBM -Centre of Excellence, Microsoft-IT Academy, Infosys - Campus Connect Program, EMC2 - Academic alliance partner, Wipro Mision10X, to name a few. Employment through campus placements in premier IT organizations is assured for a majority of the students.
The department has achieved academic milestones by achieving University Ranks. So far several ranks have been credited to the department. Big data community is a unique practice at department of Information Science and Engineering, focused on enriching the competency of our faculty members, students and our research scholars through workshops, FDPs, online courses and National/International Conferences. Through Big data community, multi node cluster set up in the lab it helps the students to execute projects. Another remarkable aspect of the department of Information Science and Engineering is the Inhouse internship program extended to our students to gain expertise by learning and adopting the software engineering practices and developed live projects which are vital for our academic activities.
To this date, the effectiveness of the program has proved to be advantageous to our students to be placed in good organizations during placements. By virtue of our R&D cell, faculty members in collaboration with students have published nearly 80+ scopus index journal papers. To sum it up, Information Science and Engineering is one of the most promising and rewarding field.
Duration : 4 Years
Eligibility : Pass in 10+2 / Higher Secondary (HS) / Pre University (PUC) / 'A' Level (with 12 years of schooling) or its equivalent with English as one of the languages. Shall have secured a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the following : Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Electronics. AIT admits students as per prevailing rules and regulations of VTU.
- PEO1: Will be competent, creative, and highly valued ethical professionals in industry, academia or entrepreneur
- PEO1: Engage in life-long learning and professional development
- PEO1: Become effective global collaborators, leading or participating to address technical, business, environmental and societal challenges
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
- PSO1: Able to apply knowledge of information management and communication systems to provide secured solutions for real time engineering applications
- PSO2: Apply best software engineering practices, modern tools and technologies to deliver quality products
Equip students with fundamental concepts, practical knowledge and professional ethics through dedicated faculty for higher studies and professional career in various Scientific, Engineering and Technological streams leading to proficiency in the field of Information Technology