Department of Biotechnology recognized by VTU was initiated in the year 2002 with the intake of 30 students and now it is increased to 60 students for B.E. It also offers M.Tech program. The department has recognized research centre under which it offers M.Sc (Engg.) by research and Ph.D programs. Department has 9 faculties and 2 technical staffs and are experienced in the areas of Food, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Nano Biotechnology, Biomaterials, Fermentation technology, Computational biology and Genomics and proteomics.
Department is accredited by NBA. It has bagged several university ranks to its credit. Projects taken up in these areas are funded by DBT, VGST, VTU, AICTE and KSCST. Department has got state level best project award from KSCST in 2017-2018 and also selected for the continuation of funding for the year 2018-2019. The department has publications in SCI, Pubmed and SCOPUS indexed journals. Department has industrial consultancy with Neostik Pvt Ltd. which is one of the leading manufacturers of specialty foams and self adhesive tapes and its agreed to fund for equipment materials to be used in product development.
Students are encouraged to present their research work in National and International conferences. Outcome based education is implemented to improve the student’s performance. Department aims at promoting research activity as a part of academics for which hands on trainings, industrial visits, interaction with industrial professionals and alumni are arranged to make the student competent to be a Biotechnology professional. Regularly soft skill trainings are conducted to students for their overall personality development. Our departmental alumni students have paved successfully as researchers and entrepreneurs.
Duration : 4 Years
Eligibility : Pass in 10+2 / Higher Secondary (HS) / Pre University (PUC) / 'A' Level (with 12 years of schooling) or its equivalent with English as one of the languages. Shall have secured a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the following : Chemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Electronics. AIT admits students as per prevailing rules and regulations of VTU.
- PEO1: Knowledge and skill: Graduates in Biotechnology work collaboratively, creatively, and communicate effectively in applying discipline-specific knowledge in basic sciences, chemical engineering and biotechnology.
- PEO2: Innovation : Graduates in Biotechnology students serving in entrepreneurial ventures and fostering activities that support sustainable economic development that enhance the quality of life of people in the state, across the country and around the globe
- PEO3: Professionalism: Graduates in Biotechnology recognize the need for excellence and proficiency required for high quality industrial, academic and other professional areas
- PEO4: Contribution: Graduates in Biotechnology exhibit broadened perspective regarding social issues, responsibilities, ethics and professionalism
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
Department of Biotechnology strives to provide a platform for students in various frontiers of Biotechnology by inspiring the next generation to achieve academic and research excellence for the betterment of mankind and society.
The Biotechnology Department committed to produce quality Biotechnology engineers, providing excellent analytical and entrepreneurial skills to achieve proficiency in industry and research fields for the betterment of mankind and society.