Duration : 2 Years
Eligibility : A candidate must have secured 40% marks in aggregate and 50% in Chemistry (cognate subject) at B.Sc. level and studied Mathematics at Pre-University or 10+2 level.
Career Scope :
- Chemistry is an exciting and challenging experimental science, which helps us to understand our world and makes our life easie
- Chemistry is a big part of our daily life. It is fundamental to understand other science disciplines including biology and medicine
- The importance of Chemistry would not diminish over time, so it will remain a promising career path. In a nut shell, the study of Chemistry provides a vehicle for obtaining an education for life in a broad sense, so welcome to the great world of Chemistry
- There is a wide range of opportunity for innovative research in institutes and universities
- Huge demand for skilled chemists in Industrial research across the world
- To impart knowledge in fundamental aspects of all branches of chemistry
- To provide students with the skills required to succeed in M.Sc. the Chemical industry or professional school
- To make international collaborations for students and faculty exchange and research cooperation
- To expose the students to a breadth of experimental techniques using modern instrumentation
- To acquire deep knowledge in the study of physical, chemical, electrochemical and magnetic properties, structure elucidation using various techniques and applications of various organic and inorganic materials
- To acquire basic knowledge in the specialized areas of chemistry
- To train the students in various quantitative and qualitative analyses
- The Department also aims at Chemistry outreach in the form of books, online courses, and other Chemistry education activities that showcase the role of Chemistry as a central science
- PO1: Work in the interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary areas of chemical sciences and its applications.
- PO2: Analyze the data obtained from sophisticated instruments (like FTIR, NMR, GCMS, HPLC, GCMS UVVis, Fluorescence, and TGA) for the structure determination and chemical analysis.
- PO3: Apply green/sustainable chemistry approach towards planning and execution of research in frontier areas of chemical sciences.
- PO4: Have sound knowledge about the fundamentals and applications of chemical and scientific theories
- PO5: Apply appropriate techniques for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of chemicals in laboratories and in industries.
- PO6: Helps in understanding the causes of environmental pollution and can open up new methods for environmental pollution control.
- PO7: Acquires the ability to synthesize, separate and characterize compounds using laboratory and instrumentation techniques.
- PO8: Carry out experiments in the area of organic analysis, estimation, separation, derivative process, inorganic semi micro analysis, preparation, conductometric and potentiometric analysis.
- PO9: Learns about the potential uses of analytical industrial chemistry, medicinal chemistry and green chemistry.
- PSO10: Understands the background of organic reaction mechanisms, complex chemical structures, and instrumental method of chemical analysis, molecular rearrangements and separation techniques.
- PSO11:Learns about the potential uses of analytical industrial chemistry, medicinal chemistry and green chemistry.
After completion of M.Sc. Chemistry programme, the Student will be:
- Get research opportunities to pursue Ph.Dprogrammewith targeted approach of CSIR– NET examination
- Get various job opportunities at all level of chemical, pharmaceutical, food products, life oriented material industries
- Specific placements in R & D and synthetic division of polymer industries & Allied Division
- Compete for specific competitive exams conducted by service commission
To give the students a thorough knowledge of the different theories to explain the bonding in coordination compounds. To improve the level of understanding of the chemistry of main group elements- Boranes, carboranes, metallocarboranesBorazines, phosphazenes, S-N compounds, metal carbonyls and metal clusters. To give knowledge about silicates, HSAB concept, stereoisomerism and nuclear.
To impart the students a thorough knowledge about the colour, magnetic, electronic and photochemical properties of coordination compounds.
Reaction Mechanisms - To impart the students a thorough knowledge about the nature of bonding in organic molecules and reaction mechanisms such as aromatic substitution reactions, addition reactions, elimination reactions, rearrangementsof some selected functions groups.
To give an idea of organic compounds like carbohydratesand heterocyclic compounds.
To impart the students a thorough knowledge about the organic reaction mechanisms, chemistry of natural products, organometallic chemistry, stereochemistry, retrosynthesis, organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry.
To impart the student’s concepts of the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and its applications in the study of structure of atoms, bonding in molecules and molecular spectroscopy.To provide an insight into the thermodynamics, chemical dynamics, electrochemistry and kinetics of chemical reactions.
To develop interest among students in various branches of Analytical Chemistry. To imparttheoreticalknowledge on laboratory safety, laboratory measures, quantitative and qualitative analysis, instrumental methods, and separation methods.
SYMMETRY AND GROUP THEORY
To impart a thorough knowledge in the symmetry and point group of molecules.
To impart a thorough knowledge of the fundamentals and applications of microwave,infra red, Raman, electronic, NMR, and ESI-MS spectroscopy.
Qualitative Inorganic Analysis - To impart skill to students in the systematic qualitative analysis of mixtures containing two acid and two basic radicals with one interfering radical by semi-micro method
Complex Preparations - To develop skills for preparation of metal complexes.
Gravimetric Analysis - The students will get training in the quantitative analysis of metal ions and anions using gravimetric method
Volumetric Analysis -To develop skills for quantitative estimation using the different branches of volumetric analysis
Preparation and Basic Laboratory Techniques - The students will develop skills in preparation of organic compounds by one, two and three stages. Also develops skills in distillation, solvent extraction, TLC and column chromatography.
Qualitative Analysis - To impart skill to students in the systematic qualitative analysis and identification of bifunctional organic compounds.
Quantitative Analysis - To develop skillsto students in the quantitative analysis of functional organic compounds.
PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY PRACTICALS
To develop skills in doing experiments in kinetics, Potentiometry,transition temperature, critical solution temperature and Conductometry.
The effort is to envisage at developing utmost quality and potential in students in relevant fields of chemistry which facilitate their integral development and encourage them to give useful inputs to institutions/industries through advanced knowledge.